Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
I got to that, elsewhere...

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Glen78 wrote:

Doesn't seem far fetched to me. Medium format digital already does it to a certain extent.

And of 15 (not counting folks like Lomo and Holga) medium format camera and back manufacturers in business 12 years ago, three survive...

• Pentax, who took the number one medium format spot, finishing off Blad and doing serious damage to Phase One, by building a single piece medium format DSLR that did not have an interchangeable back.
  • Leica, who went from a lab curiosity (the S1 scanning camera) to viable by doing like Pentax, and going to a one piece DSLR in the S2.
  • Phase One, who acquired the assets of the liquidated Mamiya and Leaf along the way, but still sees declining sales, even with two competitor's market shares in their bellies.

It's not far fetched that a camera company "could" do it. It is totally far fetched, far beyond the farthest fetched, to imagine anyone believing that it's viable and actually doing it.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Oh... come on Joseph! ...You are obviously right, but don't "ruin" my subject... We can obviously benefit from it if we raise a united voice....

But we're not going to "raise a united voice", Theodoros. There's nothing to unite over. Most of us do not want interchangeable sensor cameras, because of all the enormous compromises to the camera design that have to be made to get that feature. Others pointed out a few of the more obvious problems, and I added a few more.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50108408

It's not a tenable idea. It's just like laptops and tablets. Upgradability gave way to size, weight, and ruggedness. SSD MacBooks don't even have "drive bays" any more, all the flash is soldered directly to the main board. Tablets have nothing upgradeable. They're even shedding external connectors.

Closing the box makes for the best ergonomics. The more large doors, sealed seams, etc. you do away with, the more freedom you have to place controls. The more connectors you do away with, the more reliability rises.

Take a quick survey of how many desktop PC owners ever actually opened the machine far enough to do a processor upgrade. That's why that capability is getting emphasized less and less with each new generation of computer.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008. Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed. Ciao! Joseph www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow