Bad Canon 7D (not sharp) or is it me?

Started Oct 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Limburger
Limburger Senior Member • Posts: 7,755
Re: Bad Canon 7D (not sharp) or is it me?

mfa1999 wrote:

Thank you for all the comments.

I went out today and took more casual shots.

Shot in raw, imported into Aperture (default sharpness settings) and exported to jpg.

All camera settings are on default. P mode. I use a single center focus point in some shots and let the camera find focus points in others.

50mm 1.8 lens (the only one I have available now - but when used on my old 400D camera provided really good results).

What I am wondering about/worried about is that all of the shots look much more soft/blurry than what I am used to using my old 400D camera. It could be that I need to experiment more with the 7D and get more experience but I would expect the out-of-the-box result to be on par with my old 400D or even better.

I greatly appreciate comments.

I actually think that the deer shot turned out OK but e.g. the horse carriage is terrible.

I'd try a higher aperture (2.8 and up) at 1.8 this lens isn't at it's best. Plus 1/60s could be a bit slow.I have the idea it focusses ok hence the dof on the bottom pic (asuming you focussed and recomposed). The scenery in the pics don't really help imo to really deduct things. My 2cents.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow