Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Wojciech Sawicki
Wojciech Sawicki Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: It's already been done

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

If you ask me Wojciech, it's that we forgot to care or we forgot to bother., I mean the photographers to "demand"!

Yes, that's a given. But I think there's far more at play than that. This concept in it's purest form (interchangeable part being the sensor only, and nothing else) introduces a bunch of problems.

First of all, you'd likely be limited a a few sensor options available for this hypothetical system at the time of its release. Newer and more advanced sensors would require new processing units to handle them. This is perhaps the killer problem that kills the whole idea. Sure we can bundle sensors and processing units together, but then, where do we stop? If we do that the buffer memory would have to be included in there, as well. So why even bother keeping the card slot in the camera body, then? Especially since memory cards also evolve with time. This inevitably leads us all the way back to the digital back concept - unless we make our system non-upgradable, with only a bunch of contemporary sensors from the time of its introduction available for use.

Second, quality of connection between the sensor and the processing unit is paramount. Any faults long this path introduce more noise. A plug/unplug connection along the path might potentially spell disaster for the final image quality.

Wojciech Sawicki's gear list:Wojciech Sawicki's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow