The Olympus 75mm, tell me why I "need" it.

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
bcalkins Regular Member • Posts: 363
Example of this combo

Art_P wrote:

I'm guessing you wouldn't want to put a closeup filter on the front to degrade those excelent optics, but maybe add the Kenko extention tube set?

i have the 75mm and the Kenko tube, and while they do the job the combo has a very limited range of focus.  if you want to get a lot of magnification they are great, but to allow a bit closer focus they aren't that useful...  MFD with even just the 10mm Kenko tube jumps down to inches.

Through glass, but gives an idea of how close the 10mm ring gets you: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47706598@N08/8107412596/

I do find that the 75mm is much like the Canon 135mm in terms of being a very useful long focal length, and has replaced the 45mm in my bag that carry around.  When I'm outdoors with people the 75mm often is on the OMD.  Great lens, with lots of uses unless limited by subject distance.  MFD isn't great for macro, but for portraits rarely want to get any closer.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow