DX crop with D800 vs crop in post (vs teleconverter)

Started Oct 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kaholt Regular Member • Posts: 147
DX crop with D800 vs crop in post (vs teleconverter)

I have a new D800  on the way.  I am curious about the use of DX crop mode to get a little extra reach out of my 70-700 vs cropping in post.  Is there any difference besides file size on the CF card and speed of workfow?  Does DX cropping in camera offer any advantage while shooting?  The only difference I can easily think of is shooting with DX crop would help with autoexposure when using matrix metering to let the camera meter only the relevant portion of the image.   What about autofocus?  I would imagine the autofocus points don't move so expect there is no difference there.

Please note I never shoot anything but RAW and I have a contemporary Mac with Core-i5 processor and a huge RAID.  Workflow speed might be somewhat of an issue with the large D800 files, but I'm only a hobbyist.  I don't generate huge volumes of files that need work.

I guess I could even expand the scope of this question a bit more.  Given the optical compromises associated with a teleconverter on this zoom in particular is there any reason to use one given the already excellent resolution of a D800 in DX crop mode?  Obviously with the teleconverter I could combine techniques to get even more reach than any one of them alone.  However, lets just suppose for the sake of discussion at the moment that I dont care to get more than the equivelant of about 300mm out of my 200mm lens.  So I'm looking at these as somewhat mutually exclusive choices.

Keith

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow