Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

bgbs wrote:

It will solve many problems. For instance, why should I be limited to 14mp sensor on a D4 body? Why can't I put 36mp sensor on it? So many people complain that 12mp is too small, 36mp is too much, and 24mp on a D600 body although looks desirable, but because it is a semi-pro body, with scenes dial, less fps, less speed, less....you name it, it starts to miss the mark of what you want in a perfect body.

I think buying a camera that you want with the sensor that you want (we do this with lenses already, or MF cameras do it with digital backs) would make for a more tailored solution. Nikon would win by selling sensors, lenses, and cameras together or separately. Say I have an aged camera, but I do not care to upgrade to the latest camera, but I'm only interested in the latest sensor, would it not be great to only purchase the new sensor for my older body.? Or say I want to quickly convert my camera to DX format, I just swap the sensor and get more reach for wildlife.

The modular approach from a customer loyalty perspective, will tie a customer to a brand for life.

I don't see how one could possibly argue with that....

-- hide signature --

Theodoros
www.fotometria.gr
www.fotometriawedding.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow