Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

AlephNull wrote:

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

According to the now 3 years old Nikon patent, the sensor will be at the edge of a small box (much like the screen of a small cell-phone), which will be slotted in position from the left side (as we look at the VF eye-piece) and it will be user interchangeable....

The big problem is that the sensor must be positioned very accurately in relation to the lens mount - it must be at exactly the right distance, and exactly perpendicular to the lens axis.

Any interchangeable system is going to have some slop in it (or you couldn't interchange the units!).

That's why the only interchangeable system I know of so far (the Ricoh) integrates the sensor and lens mount into a single unit, and replaces both at the same time.

My guess is that someone in Nikon had a cute idea and patented it, then someone else in Nikon crushed the idea with reality  Or maybe they patented it to distract their competition

Could be..., but the Ricoh system is old and not cost efficient, while the Nikon patent can be applied cost efficiently especially to the higher market of DSLRs. OTOH the technical matters that you (correctly) mention, are not difficult to deal with... but I would prefer this thread to stay with our photographic needs than to turn into a "technical experts" conversation... but again that's up to people...

-- hide signature --

Theodoros
www.fotometria.gr
www.fotometriawedding.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow