Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Is there time for an interchangeable sensor DSLR?

Tony Beach wrote:

Jeff Loughlin wrote:

It's a nice idea, but I doubt we'll ever see such a thing.  The image processing hardware and software are so closely tied to the sensor architecture that a sensor upgrade would need to include all new image processing chips and firmware to go with it - either that, or be such a small incremental upgrade as to not be worth it.  And considering that the sensor represents a large percentage of the manufacturing cost as it is (I don't want to throw out a number, but I'd guess it's more than half the total cost of the camera), and would be even more so with the additional complexity of an interchangeable sensor, that it wouldn't be cost effective anyway.

But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I don't think its biggest value is price, although there would be some cost saving to buying another sensor instead of an entire new camera.  I think its biggest value would be to be able to carry multiple sensors and use them on one camera -- I would like B&W as well as IR to go with the current 36 MP BFA sensor.  Since we don't get B&W or IR cameras from Nikon, it seems to me that interchangeable sensors would make that more likely.

Additionally there are purposes like file size, LL performance, no OLP filter, video performance (that's a major one)... and countless more that the advantage would be priceless....

-- hide signature --

Theodoros
www.fotometria.gr
www.fotometriawedding.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow