Is the ZD 7-14 the best wide-angle lens on the planet?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Questions thread
philosomatographer
OP philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: Is the ZD 7-14 the best wide-angle lens on the planet?

Nice, balanced reply My original post was meant to grab a bit of attention for the astonishing Zuiko, and the Nikon of course also offers an astonishingly good performance. The real differences probably don't matter, and I am sure the Nikon focuses much better (never an Olympus strong point). I'm not quite a single brand fanboy, using everything from Mamiya, Leica and Linhof very regularly. My outlook is quite balanced across systems and brands.

I have to say that the per-pixel rendition of the Canon/Nikon bodies always look a bit... "crunchy" to me, it doesn't have the secret magic sauce that the E-5 "fine detail processing" seems to provide (while of course offering much lower noise and higher dynamic range, don't get me wrong).

I've seen the 16-9 (and many others) tests of the Nikkor 14-24 over the years, and impressive as they appear, they still don't seem to have that ultra-fine, detailed look that e.g. my crop shows, they look much more pixellated. This could of course simply be bad RAW decoding, but the detail just isn't rendered nearly with the same authority and finesse. I believe this easily makes up for the (not even 50% linear) increase in resolution the 20MP-class cameras provide.

Am I seeing things? If you compare my crop to the 16-9 test's ones, I don't think so.

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow