Mouseovers are one of those things that seem superficially attractive but require very careful tuning to maintain a balance between annoying and useful. Currently, for thread popups, DPR has all settings hard over at the annoying end of the scale. Here are some suggestions for improvement:
1) Make thread popups a user selectable option.
2) Improve the threshold for when a popup appears. The method is something like "if the mouse is on a sensitive region and is stationary for x milliseconds then popup appears", the key concepts are stationary (just moving over a region does nothing) and the time limit. Ideally the time limit would be user selectable (for threads, I might choose 5 seconds, others might choose 1/10th).
2a) Note the top of page dropdowns appear just a bit too quickly because it ignores the "stationary" requirement.
3) This is what DPR has wrong IMHO, a thread popup (but not the top of page dropdowns) must disappear as soon the mouse moves.
3a) (for experts) hitting, say, ESC dismisses any active popup until conditions change
4) There is plenty of wasted space on the left hand side of the page, why not display thread popups there? That way nothing is obscured (which is 90% of the annoyance value).
The top of page dropdowns are basically OK but appear too quickly, just moving over that bar should not cause the popup to appear., the thread topic menus need tuning.
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%