Is the ZD 7-14 the best wide-angle lens on the planet?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Questions thread
philosomatographer
OP philosomatographer Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Show me the money then...

...because I am making absolute claims. My crop is not only sharp, it's perfectly, insanely, unbelievably sharp on an extremely difficult-to-render texture, a very fine fabric. Not only is there no moire, there is also not even the slightest hint of resolution reduction, the kind that most 50mm lenses on a full-frame camera wish they can produce at f/5.6, never mind and ultra-ultra-wide zoom.

In terms of distortion and light falloff, the Nikon offerings do not even compete with the Zuiko whatsoever. Even the Zeiss 15mm or 21mm lenses have severe, very-visible falloff that require correction. This thread is now an open challenge to anybody to post a crop as illustrative as mine, at f/5.6, showing anywhere near the same resolution also. Even if you can match the resolution, the Zuiko is still demonstrably superior in the other two regards, but I am saying that even for resolution, it is not matched.

I'll bet you I can upscale an E-5 12MP to 21MP or 36MP (whatever full-frame sensor crop you want to throw at it) and it'll still capture as much or more real detail.

This is just one freakin' good lens, and Olympus designed it to be the best of the best, period.

(Caveat: Yes, in all aspects other than secondary reflections control, it does have 18 elements after all. You want flare suppression, shoot a Zeiss Hologon 16mm f/8 on a rangefinder). But the other SLR ultrawides fare no better.

Come on, who dares challenge the mighty Zuiko?

philosomatographer's gear list:philosomatographer's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED-IF VR Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-35mm 1:2.0 SWD Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow