Self-portrait with DSLRs how do you guys do it?

Started Oct 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,335
Self-portrait with DSLRs how do you guys do it?

Hi,

I own a D7000 DSLR w a couple good lenses, plus a superzoom, a compact superzoom etc.

Here is how I do self-portraits:

- with the superzooms it's easy:  I set the timer, press on the shutter release, go take my pose.  Then the camera (1) focuses, and (2) takes the photograph.  So I'm in focus.

- with my DSLR the above technique does NOT work because at least on my D7k, when using the timer the camera will FOCUS AT THE TIME I PRESS THE SHUTTER RELEASE, then take the picture w/o refocusing when the time comes.
So here is what I do:  I set the camera to MANUAL focus.  I focus on an available object at a suitable distance if available - or I attempt to estimate the distance and set the focus ring accordingly.  Then I press on the shutter release and go take my pose.

PROBLEM:  the DSLR method I am using, involves a fair amount of trial and error.  This would be fine in controlled circumstances and when there is lots of time available.  However it is a pain, or results in shots not really in focus, if I attempt to take self-portraits while, say, on a hike - I can try to help the odds by using higher f numbers for more DOF but precisedly I enjoy the shallow DOF look of DSLR portraits.

QUESTION:  has anyone found a smarter solution?  Is there any way I can set up my D7k so that (1) it does NOT AF when I press the shutter release if it is in timer mode on the dial, and (2) it will AF then take the shot when the timer has elapsed?  I have re-checked in the manual and all but am not finding an answer.

Thanks!

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow