Sony A77- my experience with video mode

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP terrylau Regular Member • Posts: 424
Re: Sony A77- my experience with video mode

Thanks for all the responses , I have further to add :

A> Regarding sound quality ,an external zoom mic would definitely help to eliminate the noise from focusing motors if a screw driven lens (not SSM ) is used and also help to focus on   the sound from  the subject although I havent purchase one yet .

However there is more to it  than that . I am kind of audiophile who listen to lots of CD on hi-fi and I can speak with confidence that  the sound coming from A77 is not that good ,in the same manner that  i find CD sound much better than  DVD , although both both claim similar frequency response .

A better and more powerful speaker,say similiar to that of the iphone 4S, could be build-in  to facilitate review of footage when one is on a long trip away from home

B>Regarding the zooming action ,I find the kit lens 16-50mm F2.8 build with too much friction for smooth zooming,hopefully it may  loosen up over time .

some other lens have poor zoom ratio in the sense that the zoom action is non-linear - that is rotation of the barrel is not proportional to how far the lens zooms

I do have an  electric zoom xi lens ,but the zoom action is not too smooth ,cannot compare with a video camera and as pointed out it is noisy during zooming

A shoulder rig is probably an overkill for taking casual family and travelling videos . One might as well carry a spare dedicated video camera  which are made quite small these days .

C> in my experience the white balance of a video camera is far more adaptive ,whereas  DSLR often get the white balance wrong in tricky lightings .

terrylau

terrylau's gear list:terrylau's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony SLT-A77 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow