Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
KAllen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,874
Re: Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

David Franklin wrote:

Marek07, there have already been a lot of good level-headed responses to your OP.

In general, I think that the 5D3 would be a better choice, especially over the D800e.

I know  a lot of people will try to rationalize this away with an argument about how the extra resolution of th eD800e precludes this, but, since the 800e does not have a moire filter, you will, sooner or later, get images with moire issues, especially dealing with fashion - fabric being the medium for fashion, and many fabrics having complex repeating patterns - after all. Some fabric patterns will defintely induce moire from the D800e imaging system. Yes, you can reduce, or sometimes even eliminate, moire in post, with plug-ins, stand-alone dedicated software and old fashioned Photoshop retouching prowess. But, about 90% of the time moire shows up, it can only be imperfectly dealt with; a trained eye can usually detect the attempt to clean it up, and it takes time and effort to eliminate it, in any case. Therefore, if you must have a D800, dont't get the "e" version for fashion work. The extra fps shutter cycling and slightly better auto focus point coverage of the 5D3 are also advantages over either D800 in doing fashion work, and the 5D3 files are big enough fto satisfy all but the very most high-end 3 or 4 percent of fashion advertising clients.

For portraits that won't be blown up to 4x6 foot size and closely examined by viewers from two feet away at a show in the Metropolitan Musem of Modern Art, the file size from the 5D3 and the technical qualities of the files will be considerably more than enough for the most demanding portrait cleint.

Regards,

David

Just a point to your Moire comment, if you talk to D800E users, moire is absolutely not a problem.  Many users on this forum have reported thousands upon thousands of images, including fashion, without any moire whatsoever.  In DPreview's own testing, they needed to back up to 25 feet or more to see even a hint of moire with an 85mm lens using the harshest possible test subject, at which point is is negligible - see here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/28

In almost every case you would see moire with the D800E, you would also see it with a D800 or 5DM3, despite their AA filters, as it will only be visible in the most extreme of conditions.

Also, the D800E does still have a filter, it's just oriented in such a way that it does not apply the AA effect like in the regular D800.

Medium format cameras don't have AA filters either, and are a popular choice for fashion.  I don't buy the moire argument at all, and all real-world testing including that from DPreview and working professionals seems to suggest it's not a problem with either the D800E or MF cameras.

Also, the D800 will shoot at the same FPS as at 5DM3 with higher resolution and DR with the grip attached, if that makes any difference, in 1.2 crop mode.  A slight work around, but there is a pay off to help even it out.

Anyways, I'm not trying to argue one way or the other, I just don't think that moire should be part of the consideration.

I would seriously buy the moire argument, MF backs suffered no end with moire and not just with fashion shooting, architecture throws it up as well.

Test it, is all I can say. I had the Kodak without a AA filter, moire was an absolute nightmare and despite all the software claims not easy to deal with.

I have a friend with a Phaseone, because of moire he is choosy on which jobs it gets used.If you intend taking sharp pictures, check it out before buying.

Kevin.

KAllen's gear list:KAllen's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Pentax K-1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow