Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,493
Re: Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

bobn2 wrote:

Kabe Luna wrote:

Marek07 wrote:

Am looking into finally upgrading my kit,

Choices...

Nikon d800e with Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G...or

Canon 5d mk3 with Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L ll USM

I work in Fashion and Portraiture, and was wondering which Kit would be more suitable or just which would you prefer and why?

Canon seems to be a more popular choice in this Industry but am not sure why!

Pros and Cons would be amazing....

Thank You....

For fashion and portraiture, I would go with the 5DIII–as I have after using the D800 for about five months. Some reasons are subjective, however, so be sure to get some time behind the wheel of each one before making your own choice. For me:

1) 5DIII is more comfortable for handheld shooting. I also find the 5DIII to feel like a more mature, fully realized product. It's only meaningful shortcoming is the higher levels of read noise compared to the best sensors on the market, resulting in relatively lower dynamic range at low ISO.

2) 5DIII is, despite what numbers indicate, a significantly better camera in terms of IQ at high ISO: Less speckle noise, better skin tones and overall color fidelity, more usable dynamic range

3) 5DIII AF has more cross-type points, spread more widely throughout the frame (assuming you're using f/4 and brighter lenses), giving greater compositional freedom in low light where the D800's single-line peripheral sensors are prone to falter a bit

4) Canon lenses–the rendering style and feel in use. You may prefer Nikon's, however.

It's a big financial investment in either system, so it's not insane to try them out, perhaps as rentals, before you buy. Best of luck. Either can do a spectacular job in "loving" hands.

Hi Garland,

Hi, Bob!

I think what you're saying is that the D800 didn't float your boat, which is quite reasonable - there is no rule saying what we have to like - but I'd like to qualify two of your points.

Exactly, some of what I don't care for about the D800 is utterly subjective. I very seldom use a tripod, and the 5DIII–and even the D700–is a much more comfortable camera to use handheld for long periods of time. I also was never able to get used to the repositioned Mode button on the D800, displaced to make room for the impotent (for stills) video record button to just beyond comfortable reach for my index finger.

As far as (2) goes, I'm a firm believer that the numbers do tell the story in the end - and the numbers show a slight advantage to the 5DIII - a small enough difference that it depends what you do with the file, and the treatment that suits it.

Thus numbers indicate a slight high ISO advantage for the 5DIII, but in actual usage, the high ISO advantage runs a little bit deeper. In the awful, artificial light that often accompanies the need for high ISO settings, the 5DIII manages to preserve subtle color differences, especially after chroma NR, better than the D800. And there is little if any of the speckle noise that erodes the D800's detail retention advantage once it's been removed.

With respect to (3) there is a reason that Nikon designs its AF as it does, namely that cross points are less effective towards the edge, end the larger sensor pixels possible with line sensors can yield a sensitivity advantage, so long as there is a focus pattern in the right direction. I think it's hard to make definitive statements about which is better, because they are both very capable, and also very complex - again it depends on the individual.

In theory this might be the case, but in practice, with static (or slowly, predictably moving) subjects, I'm finding that the outer cross sensors of the 5DIII to be as accurate as and more reliable than (thanks to being sensitive to both vertical and horizontal detail) the central cross sensors of the D800 (and D700 and D3). If the peripheral crosses are having a hard time finding sufficient detail for accurate AF toward the edge of the frame, I'm not noticing it. And I'm using my 50/1.4 between f/1.4 and f/2 more than 80% of the time, my 100/2 at f/2 more than 70% of the time, mostly with the peripheral AF points

I think the best advice to anyone is to buy the camera that you feel motivates you most. If you have doubts about your purchase, they will begin to amplify and you'll be unhappy with it - obviously what happened with you and the D800. Feeling good about your camera is surprisingly helpful in getting good shots.

100% correct on that!

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow