Please advise, Nikon d800e with 24-70mm v Canon 5d m3 with 24-70mm...

Started Oct 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sven Jonsson Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Thoughts about D800E

From what I've seen I don't think Moiré is a big issue with D800E despite lacking an AA filter. Any reports to the contrary? But I would as well be very hesistant when doing fashion - could result in a moiré nightmare.

To answer the OP.

I like many others think that both systems would probably be sufficient for your needs, both are very competent but have some different strengths.

The better sensor of the Nikon could make life easier in some cases. For example I made a portrait of a dark skinned woman in front of a window without a flash. Used bracketing on my 5D but I suspect that more DR and no pattern noise would have rendered it unnecessary and a less painful post-experience - in that specific case and what I was going for there.

On the other hand the silent mode of the 5d mk III is fantastic. Shot a film festival this wekeend borrowing a friends camera and I was amazed how much of a difference it made. The D800 seems noticeable louder and more "disruptive".

I just wanted to mention something that might not be visible through the specs but is an extremely useful function for some types of photography.

I suggest you try both out and see what you think.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow