Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
OP Fathom Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Luke Lim wrote:

The way I read this original post of this thread, it is more of a question, which body D800 or D600 has better high ISO performance.

Camera shake can be compensated to a certain degree by having a good hand holding technique, another certain degree by technology such as VR and to a large extent by camera handling expertise. Like choosing the right balance of ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

So assuming 1/250s can get motion blur free images, depending on how well lit is the ambiance, it will determine what is the ISO and aperture.

I have D700 and D800E. I do not have D600. Between D700 and D800E, I personally find that D800E has better high ISO performance in terms of noise control. For D700 I find ISO 1250 to ISO 1600 generally safe to use. Certain times, up to ISO 2500 is usable and at rare times, ISO 3200 is usable. But for D800E, I can shoot up to ISO 6400 and with NR tools, the quality of noise reduction with details still intact is amazing. This is well before any down-sampling.

I do not know if D600 is the same. And not sure if D800E and D800 is the same. So my advise is to get D3S or D4. They are most certain to have better noise control if you are sure you will always sure at low light conditions, hand holding.

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the advise Luke. I'm sure the D3s would be awesome, if only my pocket's deep enough. Well, I guess Nikon strategically played it "smarter" supposedly on their pro-body line up this time. It's clear that they wouldn't be releasing another D700-like body that would make everyone swarm over it leaving the others hovered by mosquitos on their display shelves.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow