Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Shannon H New Member • Posts: 1
Re: Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

garyhgaryh wrote:

I've upgraded from a d5100 to a d800e and I took both cameras on a hiking trip.

At first it was difficult to get non-blurred shots from the d800e, but with better technique I was able to do so (for example, as funny as it sounds, I do not breath when I push down slowly and lightly on the shutter button.  My left elbow is on my ribs and left hand holding the lens).

I also check the sharpness with the full zoom option using the [ok] button.

It's easier to see blurs on the d800e because the images are much larger so blurs are obvious than at 16MP (which is about half the size).  It's like looking at a photo of your car on a monitor.  At 16mp you may see the entire car on your screen, but when you're looking at a 36mp image, you only see half the car and it doesn't look as sharp because it looks zoomed in.  If you zoom out, you get a better comparison.

I don't doubt that mirror slap causes blur.  When I got the d800e, taking a picture was like firing off a gun.  But the heaviness of the d800e helps dampen the mirror slap.

I got the d800e over the d600 because I can always shoot at a lower MP or use a DX lens and get a smaller file, but I can never get a 36MP shot on a d600 if I ever wanted more MP.  It's all about options.

Gary

Gary,

Is the full zoom using the [ok] button a custom setting? I have played with the d800 a bit and didn't see that option (I am coming from Canon and was used to the 100% zoom on the Mark III, so I really missed this option. Knowing it's there is nice!) Also, does it auto zoom in to the AF point you used? I sure hope so.

Thanks!

Shannon

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow