16-50 pancake kit lens

Started Oct 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 23,728
Re: Rupe: 16-50 pancake kit lens

Sergey Borachev wrote:

captura wrote:

Now comparing the old NEX zoom (18-55) zoom with the new 16-50, I would be looking at the big weakness of the 18-55. That it's really only usefull between about 25mm to 40mm, due to terrific distortion. View the tests at SLQ.

So what is the useful range of the new 16-50 in comparison? Hopefully, the entire 16-50mm?

You can keep hoping, but it is unlikely.  More likely that Sony achieved both small size and wider range at the same time by doing with Panasonic does best in its lenses, i.e. with "terrific" distortion and chromatic aberration that will need some strong and lossy software correction.  I would be happy if this new lens icould be as good or limited optically as the old 18-55mm.  That's quite an achievement already, if you consider that Sony does it at a very affordable price.

So far, those who have tried the 16-50 for a while seem impressed, saying it is better than the old kit zoom. And Steve Huff liked it. Waiting for some proper tests.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Google Nexus 5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Pat
Pat
Pat
fip
fip
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow