12-35mm f/2.8: What's the verdict?

Started Sep 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP dotborg Veteran Member • Posts: 8,495
Ok

So, I've been mulling this over between the Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 or just getting the Fujifilm X-E1 with the 18-55mm F2.8-4 kit lens. Here's what I've found:

- The X-Trans sensor raw files are not all that. I've been comparing the studio raw files decoded with dcraw to the studio raw files from the E-M5 and other than about a stop better noise for the X-Pro1, the E-M5 files are better. The Fujifilm files show a lot of moire where the Olympus files show none. Also, the reason the noise looks so much better from the Adobe processed images is because they're applying a median filter to them to reduce other artifacts generated by the non-bayer pattern. This serves to give them that weird painterly look; not personally what I want.

- The auto-focus, even with Fujifilm's updated firmware, is not comparable to the E-M5's. The X-E1 and updated X-Pro1 still have hunting problems even in moderate light.

- The EVF (and display) still lag during AF. This is intolerable to me.

- You cannot use the built-in flash of the X-E1 to trigger a remote flash using TTL. All major brand cameras can do this; to not have this feature is just dumb.

- The display (and EVF) does not have a highlight/shadow mode. While this isn't a deal breaker, it's still a very useful feature.

The X-E1 is a desirable camera, but with all things considered, I think that I would be better served by the Panasonic 12-35 on my E-M5.

-- hide signature --

Really, there is no God.
http://www.pbase.com/dot_borg

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow