Which point and shoot compact digital camera is best for my needs?

Started Oct 12, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
duquetten New Member • Posts: 3
Which point and shoot compact digital camera is best for my needs?

Hi, I am looking for opinions on the following point and shoot cameras.  My needs are pretty basic and described below.  When I say high quality, I mean I don't need bigger then 8x10s  or better than computer/tv slide show quality.

Must have:

- high quality pictures of kids, family, pets, vacations (Aka scenery)

- high quality indoor/low light pictures

- relatively long optical zoom

Would like:

- Wifi

- somewhere close to pocketable (think small purse)

I had a canon powershot 850 IS digital elph which recently broke.  I could very rarely get a good picture at night or in low light. Also, optical zoom was not enough and digital zoom always made pictures grainy.  I don't know how this camera compares to new ones on the market but I think it was kind of slow at taking pictures or at least in between pictures

The two cameras I sort of have it narrowed down to are:

- Canon PowerShot sx260 (no wifi)

- Samsung WB850F (maybe not quite as good as sx260? but has wifi)

I have also considered but sort of ruled out:

- Nikon Coolpix S9300

- Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 (tz-30?)

If you could compare the first two (sx260 and WB850F) and give your thoughts that would be great.  I am also open to other suggestions and my price range is anywhere from $200-$350. However, I should mention that I don't like sony products so unless one really blows all the others away I won't be interested.  I am a beginner but I like to fiddle so I like cameras with manual options but as long as it has scene modes and ability to make a few adjustments that's all I require.

This would be a Christmas present so if something is going to be released in time for the holidays those suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks in advance for help!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow