Why Olympus Really Needs to Make a True SLR E-7

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
dave gaines Veteran Member • Posts: 9,183
Re: Plastic - now I'm worried...

Reply with quotes has been gliching on me so I've copy/pasted what you wrote here:

"I do not think you are right in this regard. My Nikkor AF-S 85 1.8 G seems to have at least an outer plastic barrel and it looks like it can stand for decades. ...

Many Oly lenses also do have plastic parts on it and for the most of it I trust in it."

You made some good points here.

That Nikkor is your new lens. You're not going to see any degradation yet. Do you have any old lenses made with plastic barrels? I don't have any film lenses made of plastic and none of the HG or SHG lenses are plastic, though some of the parts may be. Cameras are only exposed to circulating air, smog and sunlight while we're using them. The rest of the time they're in a bag, pouch or closet. I think it will take a few years before we see plastic lenses start to dissintegrate.

"The major problem with todays lenses is electronics which may become incompatible and impossible to service and the lack of mechnical focusing as well as setting of f-stop. This means that they will become technically obsolete or at least hardly usable as compared to former fully mechanical lenses that may be adapted."

Now you're really scaring me, man! I hadn't thought of that. At least with OM legacy lenses you can still use them manually. Let's hope that Olympus lenses are always suppported.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow