Need help translating 35mm knowledge to my PowerShot G15

Started Oct 10, 2012 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
Gary Fischman Regular Member • Posts: 202
Need help translating 35mm knowledge to my PowerShot G15

OK, so I bought the brandy spankin' new G15 because I figured it would be a great backup to my DSLR that would still provide the ability to work the way I'm accustomed. E.g., I typically like to shoot RAW, I like to use aperture priority,  I like to be able to control exposure compensation, etc. And the G15 has all those programmable features.

But here's the problem: actually using it.

For example, on my DSLR, when I set the aperture to, say, F/8, I have a sense of what the shutter speed will be, I have a sense of what the depth of field will be, etc. But on the G15, I don't have that same sense. The aperture range is from F/1.8-F/8, the sensor is smaller, and the numbers simply don't register in my feeble little brain.

1) Do the aperture steps on the G15 correspond to full F stops? Half F stops? Other?

2) Is there a rule-of-thumb to mentally equate a G15 F stop to a 35mm F stop?

3) Any suggestions on how to change the way I think when shifting between 35mm/FX sensor size and the little itty bitty sensor in the G15?

-- hide signature --
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow