Re: 16-50 pancake kit lens

Rod McD wrote:

So yes the 16-50mm will be compromised in many ways:

1. It is not a fast lens
2. It is not the sharpest lens
3. It is a zoom lens
4. It is a cheap lens
5. It is a small lens

I agree generally that all lenses are compromises, but surely the degree of compromise varies quite a bit?  The statements that the 16-50 is a zoom, is small and is not fast are true.  The statement that it is 'not the sharpest lens' must be speculation.  - I'm happy to be proved wrong, but AFAIK there are no comprehensive tests available yet.  And don't forget that small can be very sharp - at least in the world of primes (eg the Samsung 30mm, the Pentax 40mm pancakes).  There are also a few remarkably small sharp zooms - the Canon G1 X's small, slow, retracting zoom for example.  Let's give the 16-50 the benefit of availability and some real tests in the hands of photographers.

My $0.02c worth, Rod

I think you are right that it is a guess that the lens is not the sharpest lens, but it is an educated guess as a zoom lens is mostly less sharp then a prime and cheap lenses are mostly not as sharp as expensive lenses.

For me "not the sharpest" is not a bad qualification for a lens, as you get what you pay for and cheap lenses has to have some design compromises.

What I'v seen from the 16-50mm lens so far it is not a bad lens for its price at all. If the compromises made to keep the price down, make it a zoom and make it small are good or bad depends on the things the user of the lens, what is acceptable for one is bad for the other.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wll
Pat
Pat
Pat
fip
fip
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow