Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
CollBaxter
CollBaxter Forum Pro • Posts: 12,724
Re: Why Olympus Really Needs to Make a True SLR E-7

jim stirling wrote:

light_bulb wrote:

jim stirling wrote:

light_bulb wrote:

- 2 Bring a pro-specced OM-D with on-sensor PDAF and high end EVF with ultra high resolution and refresh rate for action shots. This would make up for a very capable and still light weight travel package. It would also allow to keep the assortment of very nice FT lenses and sell more of them. Probably this is technically still too long to go and thus stay with option 1.

I don’t think the market for FT lenses would be that great, while many are truly excellent they are typically far heavier, larger and much more costly than the mFT alternatives. I am not saying there would be no demand. I suspect that the HG and SHG lenses are already in large part owned by the type of photographers that are prepared to sacrifice a the benefits of a light compact system for a bit more quality .

Whereas the fundamental ethos of mFT is smaller and lighter, there are probably thousands of posts from those who love the compact nature of the system in the mFT forum. Compared to a relatively minor number of posts from those looking for full support for HG and SHG lenses and from the posts that I have read they are not surprisingly folk who already own these lenses, rather than any kind of huge underlying latent demand from mFT users looking to purchase £1800 14-35mm lenses. This has nothing to do with the quality of the lenses they are excellent just the reality of the success of mFT which is all about the ratio between the size/weight of your gear to the image quality it can produce.

Jim

Jim,

I have been at the Olympus stand at Photokina asking for an E5 update and was told the usual Olympus will always support FT lenses with a capable body be it FT or MFT.

Not to talk of the SHG lenses, I cannot see a match for e.g. the FT 50-200 or 50 f2 in MFT land. These are very light weight relative to their performance.

The 50-200 is a rather unique lens as to the 50mm it’s a great lens and I still have mine only because I do not use AF for macro anyway. I will look at the new 60mm as decent AF is useful for portraits and so on. A more pertinent comparison is between the Olympus 7-14 and the Panasonic 7-14 the Olympus is a little better though the Panasonic is no slouch. The  Olympus 7-14 is 2 and a half times the weight ,3.6cm longer and in the UK costs nearly £500  more than the Panasonic { in fact it costs more than the Nikon 14-24 which is a FF f2.8 lens!}  , those are a lot of downsides for what? maybe a 5% better lens.

http://camerapricebuster.com/Olympus_ZUIKO_DIGITAL_ED_7-14mm_1to4.0_pc.html

The success of mirrorless has shown that people are well prepared to disregard absolute image quality for convenience it’s not a surprise really.  For the vast majority of subjects mFT does a great job and compared to FT other than the poor C-AF of FT lenses it is better in most ways newer sensor tech, 5 axis IS etc.  I really hope Olympus comes up with a decent AF solution for you guys with an investment in FT gear, common sense would dictate a high spec mFT body with the potential for many more sales than a straight FT body.

Jim

Jim

I think lots of people miss the point. All agree that the new sensor and 5 Axis IBIS is great. But drop those into a 4/3 body and what do we have. Probably a far superior imaging machine than the m4/3 range. Small is of no relevance to a lot of people , go have a look at the Nikon , Canon , Sony and Pentax DSLR forums. Those  that want small have moved to the m4/3 , Nex  forums also start looking at the type of user of those cameras.

I know out here in South Africa the Interchangeable Mirror less cameras are like the proverbial virgin , much bespoken but seldom seen.

As to the lens's well after reading a few truthful reviews ( Those that took the spectacles off )  about some of the m4/3 zoom lenses ( Especially the high cost Panasonic versions)  I was not impressed.

I think Olympus has a problem in bring out a 4/3 body with new gizmos that will be better than their much vaunted E-M5 and show up the m4/3 system. , keeping in mind that for real competitive cameras that is the only one in the Olympus 4/3 line up. Its a one camera  Olympus system at the moment as a replacement of a DSLR.

-- hide signature --

Collin
(Aficionado Olympus DSLR )
http://collinbaxter.zenfolio.com/
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. (George Carlin)
New Seventh Wonder of the World.
http://www.pbase.com/collinbaxter/image/95297052.jpg

CollBaxter's gear list:CollBaxter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Olympus E-500 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow