Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Aero1 New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

I've recently bought both the D600 and D800. I like the large solid feel of the D800 but the quieter (and presumably less vibration) mirror operation of the D600 is nice. I like the 'old' style mode dial of the D600 over the push button, spin wheel system of the D800 and ...... so it goes. Horses for courses. If travelling and weight is an issue I suspect I'll take the D600. Would I miss the extra mega pixels? Well' to be honest, I never felt this was an issue with my old D700. If I really needed more megapixels I just shot two or more images and combined in post processing.

At the weekend I tried shooting with both cameras and a couple of lenses.  I photographed a well known Scottish view with my 24-70, 70-200, 50 and 85. Being hurried by other keen photographers meant I wasn't as systematic as I could have been but the net result was a number of photographs printed at A3+ where I couldn't tell which camera body was used. For me it is the final image which counts and whichever camera you go for they are both remarkable tools.

If I was pressed and could only choose one (given the type of photography I do - mainly landscapes and travel)  I think I'd have opted for the D600. Don't be fooled by hearing it described as an entry level FX camera.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow