Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
antoineb Veteran Member • Posts: 6,650
some thoughts which probably lead to D600

I don't own either but would think about the following:

- D600 is smaller lighter which could be an advantage for what you do.  Though it of course will depend a lot on what lens you use.  If a big heavy lens then the advantage of the smaller lighter body is obviously lost

- D800 has a 100% viewfinder vs a 97% on the D600.  Frankly I personally find it painful if I try to compose carefully, then end up with a bigger photograph which I have to crop on my computer.  This being said maybe in your usual work you end of having to crop a lot anyway in which case this wouldn't matter

- non-perfect shooting conditions indeed don't suggest that you'd be able to properly feed all those pixels on the D800.  Mind you, you also probably will have too many pixels on the D600.

But if you're not going to use all those pixels anyway (and you could possibly chose to go for one of the lower-resolution modes which will have the side benefit of cutting down file size), then again the D600 has the upper hand here.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow