Nikon parts: This will affect YOU. Please sign.

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,116
Why not Canon?

I agree that it is reckless to have only one Nikon FX body.   I'm probably OK now that I have 3 (D3s, D4, D800)

But while I had only the D3s, it needed service twice and was out for 7 weeks, and has since needed a rebuild that took 3 months for a 'parts hold.'   My 1dsiii used to be my backup, but it was outdated by then and it restricted my ability to shoot as I wanted to.   I foolishly thought I could wait for a new generation of cameras before having a Nikon backup.

The fact is that there are many reasonable reasons not to have a Nikon FX backup --budget, waiting for the next generation and so forth.   One's backup might be a m4 or an apsc, or a p&s, or a M9 or MF, not an exact substiture,.   A week without Nikon FX can be tolerable for many people, mostly amateurs, but pros as well.

By combining indeterminate hold periods on repairs, with poor quality control leading to frequent re-repairs, to not providing parts to independent repair service providers, and cutting off customers from doing their own replacements, Nikon has artificially created a repair downtime risk that is screwing its customers of a professional/luxury product.

​If you only have one FX camera, you should not buy Nikon.

​Canon will take much better care of you.  

For most people, there is nothing Nikon offers that outweighs the risk of not having the camera you need for an extended period of time.

When I first had my D3s repaired, my old 1Dsiii malfunctioned as well.   I had that back from Canon within days.   The three repairs of my D3s took ​20 weeks in total.

Even two bodies is a bit of a risk, as my experience shows.   I now have 3 Nikons (plus my wife's D7000), so I'm only a little nervous.

I now have two bodies that need minor repairs.  I am not sending them in until the weather gets colder, and I'm not out on the streets as much.   Nikon repair has burned me bad.  I don't trust their efficiency, their competence, their commmunication or their honesty.  I'm not happy to say this, but yes, my experience has been that bad.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow