Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
moving_comfort
moving_comfort Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
He's describing a personal aesthetic as 'more forgiving', and its not, really

Fathom wrote:

I’ve inquired from Mr. Ming Thein, a famous photography blogger in our region, with regards to the D800′s capturing performance and he said that I’m better off with the D600 as the D800 will require “higher shot discipline” in a reportage scenario (which is synonymous to candid moments I presume).

Though I’ve read in other posts that you would still need that higher shot discipline for the D600 because of its 24 MPX resolution. The difference is that the supposed motion blur that could produce in the D600 when shooting handheld is that if it’s “hidden” on the D600, it’s going to be “tiny” on the D800. So, Ming Thein, , still recommends a 1/2X focal length for shutter speed settings to avoid motion blur on the D600 [which is roughly the same as that of the D800, though the conclusion here is that it would be more "forgiving")].

I do like Ming Thein's blog, but I think he's simply wrong in this case.

I suspect he's applying a personal aesthetic here, and describing it generally - as in, "I personally would rather see less resolution, where details are not even present, than see slight motion blur of those same details when viewing at 100%.  The former pleases me more."

There's nothing wrong with having that opinion, but he's describing that personal aesthetic as the lower-res sensor being 'more forgiving', which I think is misleading.

Secondly - there's just not going to be much difference at all either way in that sense between the D600 and D800 If you see motion blur on one, you will on the other as well.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow