Thumbs up / Thumbs down already being abused

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,424
the point of the thread has been missed I think ...

oklaphotog wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

...to the votes (and complaints) being public rather than anonymous?  If so, why?

Yes, public is not good either. The reason is because once people find out who the negative voters are it will stir the pot creating reactionary defense posts and more flame war, further degrading the forum.

I am pretty sure that he makes the point that anonymity is what stirs that pot. It has always been an issue with the complaint button, and it is now an issue with the -1 button.

Removing anonymity by allowing one to click on the +/1 buttons on their posts and seeing the tally by account name (which for those of you hiding behind your ID is still anonymous) also removes the "free pass" people have to hammer on people they dislike.

It has never been ok to attack people you don't like. It should always be the case that you attack arguments that you don't agree with. Which I am pretty sure is the point of the whole thread ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow