Thumbs up / Thumbs down already being abused

Started Oct 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Are you a communist? if you don't like it go elsewhere.

oklaphotog wrote:

Richard wrote:

DPreview, the feature is great, leave it as it is, you will never be able to contol "abuse".

Not true, many forums runs with far less abuse than here. It's called moderators. You don't see half the stuff that happens here over at photo.net for instance. There have been plenty of forums in history that have not been plagued with the issues at DPR.

I prefer freedom of speech and with that comes abuse. It is more important to have freedom than someone silencing someones opinion.

We don't need to reply to say whether we like a post or not.

Why do we need to let the world know every time we don't like a post? The fact is, the rating system is being used to belittle people. Egomanics that vote down new people with simple questions. People who think they know everything, voting down a post of someone that has a legitimate problem with their gear etc... The trolling, egotism, and other things that happen here are part of why you rarely see any serious posts from serious photogs compared to other forums. This activity is something that has plagued DPR for years, but has become worse over time. It is something that is going to be made even worse by the voting system. The reason is because the trolls etc... Outweigh the sane people. You can instantly tell this by the way the voting system is already being abused and how legitimate posts get a million down votes vs. none or upvotes.

This is the interwebs, get use to it. You need to develop a thicker skin.

" People who think they know everything, voting down a post of someone that has a legitimate problem with their gear etc... "

You don't think the average person will be able to see that? Personally, when a post has a lot of positive negitive or both votes, I look at that post because it tells me that it probably contains something that people feel strongly about.

"The trolling, egotism, and other things that happen here are part of why you rarely see any serious posts from serious photogs compared to other forums. "

Then go to the "other" forums. Why are you here if you don't like it. I will tell you why, because there is freedom of speech here and no one is silenced. There is always something that is attractive about that.

" It is something that is going to be made even worse by the voting system. "

It think it will make it better. So did DPReview and I think they are right. If you don't like it go to a moderated forum and have your thoughts and words silenced by some dictator of the board who has some huge ego. I prefer this one where people can speak their mind and can disagree with you.

I disagree with you and guess what, my post will not be deleted, what a great feature. You can vote on my opinion and let others know that this is not a popular opinion. I love it.

Voting and free speech are very democratic. Are you a communist? LOL

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow