Lens advice for a Nikon newcomer

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Bjorn_L Veteran Member • Posts: 5,770
Re: Lens advice for a Nikon newcomer

EgonVLC wrote:

Basic line up:

I'd get the Nikon 70-300vr over the Tamron 70-300vc.  Similar priced.  Neither one will do any good at all for wildlife remember this will give you the same rough FOV as a 50-200 on your crop body.  If you want cheap and wildlife consider the Sigma 50-500os.

The sigma 150mm is probably the best all around macro out there,

The Tamron 28-75 is very good and very light.  I am very pleased with it.  Get the older non-BIM version for faster focusing.  Alternatives to consider.  I'd rather have either the Nikon 24-120 f/4 vr or the Tamron 24-70vc a both are weather sealed and very good optically.  The Nikon 24-70 is also sealed but is very heavy and the other two are close enough optically for me and benifit from stabilization.

The Sigma 12-24 is extremely wide.  The newer version is supposedly a little better too.  But I'd rather have a Nikon 16-35 f/4 vr which is better optically, stabilized and sealed; also it will give you a similar field of view to what you are used to with your 10-20.  If you want extreme wide and extreme quality consider the Nikon 14-24.  Personally I find that going wider than around 20 or so gives weird and often unpleasant image than staying in the middle of the ultra wide angle range.

The 50mm is not a portrait lens on a FX body.  It is a decent lens but it is a "normal lens" and so will give you some perspective distortion if you shoot portraits with it.  The longer lenses give a much more flattering portrait.   The 85mm f1.8 gives you some of that.  So too does a 70-200 f2.8.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D750 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow