Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
Re: Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

I have D800E only.

I would have thought that if motion blur is a worry then use fast lenses, high ISO and VR lenses.

Use auto ISO and set min shutter speed high enough to counteract motion blur.

I don't quite get the motion blur argument. Any camera has motion blur. That's the whole point of VR lenses. It isn't a function of the sensor its a function of motion when taking the photo. The argument must then be its more visible on a D800/E than a lesser MP sensor. Not sure why that would be but it seems to be taken as true. However I would argue you would get better gain against motion blur by using VR lenses or a tripod/monopod.

I use my D800E for nightscapes, family photography and landscape/panoramas.  For kids type snaps these are usually handheld but at highish shutter speeds. Plus I use mirror lockup.

But then D600 has all that as well. I figure there is no D600E, that D800E is absolutely the best Nikon for image quality so if that is mostly important then get D800E. There is no D600E.

If you are the sort of person who will want the slightly better camera that the D800/E camera is you know you will not be happy with a D600 just because the D800 is that little bit better in all ways.

D600 though seems to be a superb camera. D800E is just that bit better and more polished overall.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow