Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

Started Oct 7, 2012 | Questions thread
OP Fathom Junior Member • Posts: 48
Re: Which is better? A Nikon D600 or D800? Mostly using it HANDHELD & with low light.

tomnorth wrote:

I recently bought a D800 after trying it and the D600 at the shop. I too have a D700 that I am keeping. The handling of the D800 was much more similar to the D700 than the D600 was, so I decided on the D800. I used the D800 this past weekend for an event where the lighting was dim in some places and highly variable in others. The D800 performed extremely well. To get the most out of it you do have to use good handholding technique, that is true. I tried to keep my shutter speeds to no slower than 1/100 and used auto ISO with a limit of 6400. This worked out well. I am beginning to think that down sampling is just going to be part of the normal workflow with the D800. There was no way I was going to upload 4 GB of images to the clients web gallery.

Hi Tomnorth

Thank you for your prompt reply Tom. I think your response is very interesting. I would be very much interested if you could post your images for me to check for my decision. Honestly, I would not want to set my ISO at 6400. Max is 3200.

As for the handholding technique you used, I'm curious as well. Is it the standard left hand by the bottom and right hand on the camera and then your arms hitting together with elbows resting on the stomach area?

Again your response would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
glo
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow