Nikon parts: This will affect YOU. Please sign.

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,507
Re: Nikon parts: This will affect YOU. Please sign.

Robin wrote:

I think it has more to do with Nikon USA spending money marketing Nikon products in the USA.

Maybe part of it. But I think the key reason is something else. Grey imports exist because the cameras are sold at very different prices in different part of the world. So distributors get the cameras from parts of the world where they are cheaper. Nikon also spends money on marketing in these countries. It's about what the local Nikon importer decides the market can bear, which is why the prices can be so different, although it's been getting better in recent years for Nikon.

The solution is simple: harmonize prices around the world. Seems fair as well.

> (Robin wrote:) Grey marketers are like parasites on the marketing efforts of Nikon USA. They benefit from the marketing, but pay nothing for it.

Maybe but the answer in my view is not to limit access to spare parts. For instance my local car repair shop will get OEM parts from Toyota. The repair is cheaper using the local shop. Maybe because it does not bear some marketing costs. Basically what you're advocating is akin to only the Toyota dealers should have access to these parts, similar to the small list of Nikon repair center which have exclusive access to the Nikon parts. I respectfully disagree. It's certainly within Toyota's or Nikon's rights to do so, but in the end it would server neither the customers's nor the companies' interests.

If they are free to import grey market Nikon cameras and lenses, what is stopping them from importing grey market parts? Nikon USA is just refusing to be part of their support network.

In the meantime loyal Nikon customers like me bear the consequences. We now have very limited choices to get simple repairs done on our cameras. And I've never bought any grey market items.

-- hide signature --

Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow