Nikon parts: This will affect YOU. Please sign.

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marianne Oelund Veteran Member • Posts: 7,063
It has already affected me

em_dee_aitch wrote:

Today I find myself in the position that all of you will be in eventually if you keep using Nikon gear: I need an external DSLR body part that is easily user installable and that up until a couple months ago was readily available for $15 through independent repair shops.

I just had my #2 D3s rebuilt by a local repair shop.  It took most of the year for the required parts to arrive from Nikon, and even after that wait, one critical item - the mirror assembly - could not be obtained.  Since the parts-freeze is now in effect, I had the shop go ahead with the repair without replacing the mirror assembly.  Unfortunately, the bushings which the mirror rotates on, are a potential high-wear area, which means the repair may not be fully successful.

What we see as owners, is just the tip of the iceberg.  It's unbelievable, what Nikon put independent service centers through, to become "authorized" service centers. The parts-freeze policy has caused tremors within the Nikon USA organization as well - most of the staff which my local shop used to have as contacts within Nikon have departed or transferred, making the possibility of obtaining any parts or service advice even more remote.

This is all a result of Nikon's culture of absolute, tight-fisted control over their products.  If they were a government, they'd be perceived as a repressive regime.  Independent thought and action is not only discouraged, but stifled.  It's as though they still consider themselves to be the true owners of all of the products they've made, with the purchase prices paid by the owners being merely licensing fees!

Instead of asking "Why, Nikon?" perhaps we should be asking "Why Nikon?"

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow