Trouble with fall leaf colors

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,705
Re: JPG WB worthless / OF COURSE I edit the raw file

boardsy wrote:

cxsparc wrote:

Well, OF COURSE I edit the raw file in Adobe Photoshop and try to correct the WB of this file, not of the JPG file.

On the "jpg worthless / OF COURSE" issue - I process auto WB JPGs (not from RAW) in Photoshop all the time and they are not worthless at all - they have a very usable  leeway for adjusting white balance, highlights/shadows, unsharp mask, curves etc.

I agree.  While I much prefer using RAW, as there's more data to rescue highlights, etc., you can modify JPEGs quite a bit.  You can clip colors or get banding more easily, but if the photo editor is decent and the original WB is "close", you can adjust it.  If the WB is way off, you can have problems, but it still may look fine printed at normal/small sizes.  So, even if you just have a JPEG, don't give up on it -- if it needs editing, edit it.  (Just save the original file in case you want to try again...)

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Pat
Pat
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow