Is the Pentax K10D a good buy or is it better to buy a new Nikon D3100 ?

Started Oct 5, 2012 | Questions thread
karet Contributing Member • Posts: 504
Re: Is the Pentax K10D a good buy or is it better to buy a new Nikon D3100 ?

Hello Lennart,

I checked the going prices at ebay Deutschland for you.

k10d 160 to 245 for a body so EUR 200 for the kit is good value

k20d EUR 300 for a kit

k7 not much going, my guess would be EUR 500 for a body.

k5 EUR 600 to 700 for body or kit

The kitlens is worth only EUR 35 to 50 second hand.

If you can cough up the extra 100 euro I would choose the k20d, that is the one I bought second hand on Marktplaats and I'm happy with it. The k10d had a relatively noisy sensor at higher ISO, even at the time it came out. The k20d is the camera the k10d should have been. But if you can live with k10's limitations in dim light you will still enjoy the handling and the ergonomics. It will be a great camera for outdoor photography in reasonable light. Just read old posts on this forum from when k10d came out and see how happy people were with it.

If you are patient and eager to learn you will have great fun with all the legacy Pentax lenses from the 70's and 80's that you will be able to buy in the 20 to 50 euro range. The ergonomics are slow but the glass is excellent. Some examples: 50 mm f/1.4 or f/1.7 and 135 mm f/3.5 . Search Markplaats.nl for "pentax SMC" and you'll see what I mean. This forum has a great tutorial on how to use munual lenses on a Pentax DSLR.

Good luck on your choice and let us know what you bought when you made your decision.

karet's gear list:karet's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5200 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow