Upgrading normal lens

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Dan Beaty Regular Member • Posts: 420
Re: No need to spend big money for resolution

SRT201 wrote:

Admittedly I have not studied comparisons for contrast but... the Rikenon's are sharp corner to corner where the M50 1.7 has trouble getting there and the M50 1.7 wide open is really pretty bad contrast IMO where the Rikenon 1.7 is much better.

Since you guys have called my attention to the Rikenon/Sears lens, I looked up my previous comparison shots between it and my 16-45 @ 45mm. The reason that the contrast appears lower is I think due to the cooler rendering of the colors. When i reduced some of the blue in Photoshop, the contrast was very similar. The greens became more lively. I knew about this cooler cast when shooting film with it before. I had to change the filtering in the darkroom on shots when I changed lenses.

For overall convenience and color rendition, the DA16-45 is a fine lens. I would hate to part with it unless I replaced it with a better zoom. Amazing that I can get about what I paid for it years later!

But even the center sharpness on the Sears lens was better at f4, edge difference was even greater. It is like comparing 645 film with 6x7, subtle, but noticeable.

Dan

Dan Beaty's gear list:Dan Beaty's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow