The verdict is in: EOS-M is terribly SLOW.

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156
Re: EOS-M vs the competition

justmeMN wrote:

If you've already got those lenses from Canon, then the EOS-M is a natural choice.  If not, I don't see what the attraction is.

The EOS-M has a larger sensor than M43 or Nikon 1.

That's true, but I consider the M43 sensor to be in the same neighborhood as Canon's APS sensors.   The Canon sensor has less than a 1.5X greater area than M43, while full frame has almost 2.5X greater area than the Canon - so M43 and Canon APS are closer than Canon APS and FF.

Not only that, but in terms of noise performance, current M43 systems are handily outperforming the APS-C DSLR which I bought a few years back.  So for a person like me looking to switch, the maturity and performance of M43 seems like a very attractive choice.

Nikon 1 is probably too much of a step down for me (it has an area almost 3X smaller than Canon APS).   The Sony system is interesting, particularly because they support 1080p60 video which is a requirement for my next camera - but their lens lineup is still lacking.   Their new collapsible zoom makes their new system a lot more attractive than it used to be, though.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Mk7
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow