The verdict is in: EOS-M is terribly SLOW.

Started Oct 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,162
Re: The EOS-M Quandary...

Marco Nero wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

Sure, there's plenty of mirror-less alternatives on the market.  But how many can I stick my L-lenses on?

From what I can see, that's the only unique thing the EOS-M has going for it.   If you don't have any existing Canon glass then I really don't see why you'd want one.

That said, the 18-55 (?) Image Stabilized M-series lens seems to take some VERY nice pictures that rival even the best cameras using top lenses.  Perhaps it is simply due to skilled experience and testing by the Canon photographers?

People who buy the really specialized lenses like the Fisheye lenses or the Primes like the 50mm f1.2 lens with its razor-type DOF or even the 100mm L Macro will find this new camera will offer tremendous specialized use.

But that's my point.   If you don't already have those lenses, you can just as easily go to another system for them.   For example M43 has fisheye lenses, macro lenses, lenses with superfast (f/0.95) apertures, constant aperture zooms, etc.   What's better, they're all available in the native M43 mount so most of them are optimized for size and weight and you don't have to deal with adapters that add bulk or large, heavy lenses built to cover a full frame sensor.

If you've already got those lenses from Canon, then the EOS-M is a natural choice.  If not, I don't see what the attraction is.

It's too bad, because I'm ready to downsize into a mirrorless system and I was waiting for Canon to tip its hand - but so far all I see is a pair of 2's...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Mk7
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow