About wide vs. small gamuts, 8 vs. 16-bit &sRGB vs. Adobe'98

Started Apr 3, 2003 | Discussions thread
OP Magne Nilsen Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Re: Very nice. But what does...

Steve Deutsch wrote:

The last piece of the puzzle for me is this:
What does it mean to use Photoshop (example) in a given workspace?

Not sure I know what your question is here, but you select your working space from the "> Edit/Color Settings" dialog. If you select a working space different from most of your images gamut, you must be prepared to understand and use the functions for Assigning and Converting images between different colorspaces. Ian Lyons has many great tutorials i.e. here: http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_1.htm

Why should I care what colorspace I work in? Yes I want a good
mapping from my 'internal numbers' when I generate the displayable
output to an sRGB or other colorspace device...but I don't see how
the colorspace of my output devices means anything to Photoshop
until I generate displayable results.
What's up with this?

If your working colorspace is very different from your output devices some conversion will occur. Many of those conversion will mean that colors in your images will perceptually change. Sometimes a lot. Unless you have a VERY good profile for that output device, and know exactely how to do and understand softproofing, what you see on your screen can be very far from what you will see coming out of your output device. Generally not a good thing. And - if your working space is far from sRGB you must always convert images to sRGB when sending them out to the mostly non-color-managed world outside of Photoshop...
I hope this was relevant to your question...

~~~~
Magne

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow