Got my hands on a 10D...

Started Mar 3, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Petteri Sulonen Forum Pro • Posts: 24,585
Got my hands on a 10D...

Phil being the rank amateur at reviews that he is, I'm sure the forum would be really thrilled to hear the profound insights of one who has never owned a D-SLR (me), so I thought I'd share them.

I got the chance to play with a 10D at a store today. Canon really has its distribution network in place, since it's in Finland on day 1: normally we have to wait for samples for months.

Anyway: it was much as you'd expect from Phil's review. Quiet and extremely responsive. They've put some serious work into redesigning the body: the control layout was clearly more at my fingertips than either on the D60 or the D100, and I don't think I've ever handled a camera with a better grip.

However, I was slightly disappointed, too. The viewfinder is still small. I'm mildly surprised that they haven't designed a VF for the 1.5 FOV crop by now -- it shouldn't be too difficult, and would make the camera significantly more "fully digital" than "film SLR with digital stuff in it". Also, the magnesium shell had far less effect on the "feel" than I expected -- the camera is about as light as the D60, and there's really little difference in the "feel" (apart from the distinctly nicer grip). It's slightly cooler to the touch, but that's about it.

Apart from that, no surprises. Another extremely solid piece of work from Canon, but definitely an evolutionary rather than revolutionary improvement.

Petteri
--
http://www.seittipaja.fi/index/

Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Joo
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow