**** 28-135IS Revisited ****

Started Feb 25, 2003 | Discussions thread
AdamT
OP AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,597
Re: 28-135IS vs Sigma 24-70 EX & 28-70 EX

So would you say that this copy of the 28-135IS is better all-round
than both the Sigma zooms? I was under the impression that the
Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX DF was better in most image quality terms than
the 28-135IS, such as flare, sharpness, CA, etc.

CA is an issue on both lenses, though neither are particularily bad, THIS 28-135IS seems a little better than the 28-70EX for CA one of the others was worse... sharpness at the same focal lengths, the Sigma wins. the 28-70EX pulls off the same sharpness at F2.8 that the 28-135IS pulls off at 3.5 BUT the Sigma is soft at 60-70mm and needs F3.5-4 so at those lengths they're about equal.... Flare isn't a big issue with either lens compared to a lot though IS there - again the 28-70L is about the best for this, even hoodless..

improved on many of the 28-135's problems like underexposure, low
light hunting, etc.

The Sigma doesn't underexpose but twitches a bit in low light, the 28-70L doesn't .. I'd say without doubt that the Sigma is better than the 28-135IS in low light - the F2.8 aperture helps too

I'd leave the Sigma 24 -70EX DG out of the equasion if sharpness wide open is important to you ..

It's down to the fact that the 28-135IS IS a compromise but a good one is a GOOD compromise, the Sigma 28-70EX DF is a poor man's 28-70L and does very well indeed, which you should choose depends on your priorities really .. I'd rather do product shoots or portraits with the Sigma, I'd rather take the 28-135IS on holiday (unless it was a photographic holiday then I'd take three Ls) ..

-- hide signature --

Please ignore the Typos, i'm the world's worst Typist

My Ugly mug and submitted Photos at -------->
http://www.photosig.com/viewuser.php?id=27855

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow