Coolpix 5700 dead pixel?

Started Jan 27, 2003 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
BudH Contributing Member • Posts: 543
Successful Hotpixel mapping

baw wrote:

It would be interesting to hear from other Nikon users how they did with the hotpixel remapping software. Especially how many pixels were remapped after using this software, and how they achieved this (camera cooling etc.)

Last night I read the Hot pixel map, since we are reading flash ROM it shouldn't matter how long the 5700 was on. I had a boatload (512) of pixels already mapped. I pasted the output into an Excel spreadsheet.

I am concerned, since Dead/Hot Pixel Test showed 16 Hot @ 8s to 4 Hot @ 1/4000s. How am I going to add those 4 to the map thats already full.

This morning I decide to remap anyway, what could it hurt, I already have 512 pixels mapped, so when I'm done I should still have those same 512 pixels mapped. 678 seconds later the remap is complete and I have 512 pixels mapped. I take the output and paste it into the same Excel spreadsheet, resort both ranges by the first coordinate, then start comparing. 87 pixels thrown out of the old list and replaced with new ones.

Oh my god! I really screwed up my 5700, I am doomed to having hot pixels forever. So after rueing my decision I start taking some test shots at 8s, 4s, 2s, 1s, 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/15s, 1/30s, 1/60s, 1/125s, 1/250s as fast as the 5700 could write TIFFs to the CF. Copy these to a temp directory on my HDD then run them through the Hot pixel test program. Lo and behold (does anybody really say "lo and behold" anymore?) it reported 0 dead/ 0 hot pixels on every one of those images

It seems to have worked for me but as always these results are not typical and your mileage may vary.

-- hide signature --

Bud - CP5700, PZ5KAF

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
baw
oza
RPK
RPK
baw
baw
baw
RPK
baw
baw
baw
don
RPK
RPK
N
RPK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow