WonderBra ????

Started Feb 1, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
murphy Senior Member • Posts: 2,475
WonderBra ????

I thought this is funny,

WonderBra upstages the Expo/Disc

There is a certain appealing “snap” to this novel environmental approach devised by Al Pacheco—getting the bra to do double duty, so to speak, without even having to recycle it! The bra being presented for consideration even has two convenient straps, for lefties or righties, so you could just let it dangle from the lens barrel between readings, or use it like a well-blessed lens cap (with rubber band). That’s probably the best approach—-accessing one that’s in use is not recommended. It could be wrapped seductively around the lens assembly when not in use, and there’s even a handy elastic closure for securing it between shoots. It’s also a clever anti-theft device—the camera is less apt to be stolen if it looks like the bra is holding it together.

I’m wondering what the optimal cup sizes are for my different lenses? My friend Jackie’s bra, for example, just wouldn’t work with most lenses—you could probably fit an entire box camera in it with bellows, and it would still flap in the wind. I’m sure smaller sizes are better. It’s going to be more efficacious when the cup functions as a smooth convex cone while setting the WB, as indentations and cast shadows affect the accuracy in reading ambient light. The number of washings and amount of padding could skew the WB readings—have you tested different models on the color analyzer yet for white balance or consistency?

What a great prop for portrait sittings—no more problems getting a genuine smile from the sitters! Troublesome issues: perverted shutterbugs might get distracted and absent-mindedly fondle their WB accessory, causing a certain amount of alarm to the sitters; testosterone-zapped adolescents may glint rakishly towards the lens-with-bra assembly, and parents may find resulting portraits unsettling; and don’t even think about it with humorless evangelicals...

You could launch an industry take-over with an advertising campaign that combines nostalgia, French fashion and star allure: ”Marilyn Monroe’s brassiere ‘boosts’ accuracy and reduces workflow” or “Wonder Woman’s WonderBra rescues WB”. You get the drift. If it gets to be popular on university campuses there could be liability problems, not to mention issues of patent infringement with the Expo/Disc...and feminists could rightly wonder about your motives in selecting a WonderBra rather then a male athletic support cup for your experiment...

In the Cold War period we would have had to consider another possibility: that Al (a possible KGB operative) was trying to diminish American Image Quality by substituting an inferior item (the bra) which has earned public trust for an little-known entity (the Expo/Disc) which facilitates finer resolution and detail as well as white balance and therefore has military applications.

And then there is always someone who just can’t get the directions right. Al himself wasn’t sure if he should wear it, point it, throw it, but at least he wasn’t considering eating it. What if instead of changing the Expo/Disc for the WonderBra they try to do the reverse instead? It would be quite uncomfortable and not fully functional as a digital bikini. The WonderBra folks must certainly contest this last application because to them these two items surely are not interchangeable.

In conclusion, I don’t envision the Minneapolis Star-Tribune staff abandoning their Expo/Discs for this new WonderBra Method. But I bet it would look cute on Al.

Murph

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow