infolithium protocol ?

Started Jan 27, 2003 | Discussions thread
Evil Eggplant Veteran Member • Posts: 8,755
look at it this way

You don't need to talk to the battery. What you do need it the discharge curve of the battery under load. For the camera to estimate remaining battery life it must know the discharge behavior of the battery under load. You can do the same thing with that information without the need to talk to the battery.

Once you have this informtion things become simple. I would use a PIC or Basic Stamp with a cheap 8 bit serial ADC. The basic stamp will directly drive a surplus LCD and read the ADC with ease. Check out http://www.parallax.com ; for information about the Bssic Stamp. They are a bit pricey, but they are sooo easy to use.

Program the stamp to display the actual voltage as well as estimated time remaining. The stamp can also output serial to your PC, or with the ADC act as a stand alone intelligent charger.

If you haven't yet played around with the Basic Stamp microcontroller this seems like a great place to start.

It would be nice to know the sony serial protocol. I would like to built a hot shoe adapter and wireless remote trigger. Owell, someday..

frugalbrutus wrote:

Now that the search engine works, I found the old threads where
"Ivo" posted the pic's of the cam to batt communications. They
match what I am seeing, except the cam to bat data is a little
different. If I send what Ivo spells out in byte 1,2, and 3, I do
not get a reply from my battery. If I send what I observed from my
cam to bat comm's (NP-F330 and MVC-FD83) then I get a reply from
the battery. I don't know what it means yet, but it is progress...
I think...

Ivo, have you made any more progress?!?

-- hide signature --

rich
c-7oo, d-51O, DSC-F7O7
'it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you got'
http://www.pbase.com/iceninevt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow