Press Correspondent wrote:

Nikon recommended lenses from the D800 manual:

Primes:
AF-S NIKKOR 24 mm f/1.4G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.4G
AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60 mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 85 mm f/1.4G
AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105 mm f/2.8G IF-ED

Yeah, but more a sales pitch to get people buying the Nikon equivalents of the L lenses.

True, but you generally get what you pay for, although not proportionally at all. Besides, this is the only credible recommendation unlike the always polar opposite opinions of this forum members.

The truth is that Nikons new f/1.8 primes are economical and excellent - you don't need to shell out on the big guns there if you don't want. The 50/1.8G and 85/1.8G are if anything better than their f/1.4 counterparts.

My experience with Nikkor 50/1.8G was rather bad. It could not focus on D800 off center with -20 not enough for MFA. Meanwhile 60/2.8G with no MFA focused better than LV even in the far left and right points. I also disliked the contrast and was repulsed by the plastic mount of the Chinese made 50/1.8G.

I hear 85/1.8 is a great lens, but I have not had a chance to try it.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow