G1X vs. Eos M

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 7,007
G1 X wins ALL THE WAY. Here's why...

Chuck_237 wrote:

Which is better as far as image quality ? Why ? Which would you buy and why ?

I already own the excellent G1 X. But I am also buying an EOS-M. More on this in a moment....

Since ONLY the G1 X has a lens (the EOS-M is just a body that offers no similar lens option), the G1X wins hands down simply by default. But it can hold its own against the EOS-M with any SINGLE lens you care to put forth. And it does so for several reasons:

• PowerShot G1 X:

• Manual controls

• Built in OIS (optical image stabilizer)

• Built in flash + External Hotshoe

• L-Lens image quality (yes, really)

• Flip-LCD screen

• EOS accessory compatible

• Large 1.5" CMOS sensor

• Lighter than the EOS-M if the EOS is using an L-Lens.

• 250 shots Vs EOS-M's 230 shots (with flash?)

• 14 Scene Modes Vs EOS-M (which has only 8).

• G1 X can be used under water and has a matching underwater WB

The EOS-M is really limited by the quality of the lens used on it and by the lack of manual dials on the body. If you use a high-end L-series lens (an example given was the 35L), you will get an optically excellent result, but you are immediately limited by the fact that this lens has no zoom. If you use a run-of-the-mill lens on your EOS-M, your results will be mediocre at best... Horrible at worst. Most lenses don't employ an Optical Image Stabilizer so any lenses you place on the EOS-M is limited again by the features or optical limitations designed into it. The G1X has a built-in OIS.

• EOS-M has a slightly larger APS-C sensor which means marginally better light sensitivity. But the differences are small in this regard because the G1 X uses its own larger-than-usual sensor.

But Chuck_237's original question was about image quality. Since there's no lens with the EOS-M that comes close to the incredibly well designed (and arguably optically superior) lens on the G1 X, I think the G1 X wins this debate hands down. Especially when you consider the image quality from the G1 X lens which is on par with the DSLRs.

I'm getting an EOS-M for a specialized application that I will reveal shortly when my camera arrives. So don't accuse me of pushing the G1 X ahead of the EOS-M for reasons of personal bias. The EOS-M isn't exactly a tiny camera body. And closest lens to the G1 X's 28-112mm (equiv) f/2.8 lens is probably the 24-105L f/4.0 which is not as fast and weighs more than the entire G1 X with its battery onboard. In fact, if you factor in the "crop", you' find that L-series lens becomes a 38.4mm-168mm which is immediately limiting.

Don't take my word for it, here's the side-by-side comparison:

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_eosm&products=canon_g1x

-- hide signature --
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Ra Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Jim
(unknown member)
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
(unknown member)
KEG
KEG
KEG
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow