First Time FF User - 5DM3 or D600?

Started Oct 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
MayaTlab0
MayaTlab0 Senior Member • Posts: 2,610
Re: First Time FF User - 5DM3 or D600?

KidRacer wrote:

Before freaking out on me Canon forum users, please understand that I am hoping to get opinions from both sides before spending a small fortune on a body and lenses.

To start, i only talk about the D600 cause I am not looking for 36MP. Its just way too much for me to handle and I am not the best at using photoshop.

I mostly shoot people and landscapes. Lenses I would buy are the 24-70mm and the 50mm. Will pick up an 85mm around the holidays.

Any first-hand opinions would be most appreciated. Thank you!

As far as lenses go, I'd actually give a slight edge to Nikon for your specific needs. Canon's new 24-70 II might be quite a bit better than NIkon's 24-70, but the former isn't exactly poor either, and a bit cheaper. On the other hand Nikon's 50s are brand new and their optical performance is better than Canon's 50s. As far as 85s go, I believe it's a toss-up.

As far as cameras go, I personally think the 5DIII is worth the extra in general terms, but it doesn't mean it's worth it for your specific desires. The main difference, to me, is in handling / ergonomics, where the Canon is just better and allows for faster settings change (useful for shooting events / reportage / street photography - in fact it's the first DSLR I like using for street), thanks to a few key useful features (example : the functions associated with the depth of field preview button, are, IMHO, better thought through than on the Nikon, or the 5DIII's dials click positively into place, while the D600's are a little mushy feeling). It's also got a few extra functions that might be really useful for you or not (ex : silent mode, which, from direct comparison, subjectively seems still a bit quieter than the D600's improved shutter noise), or a few "details" that might just get your preference (joystick over pad, etc.).

The D600 retaliates with a better sensor at lower ISOs, which may be just what you need for landscapes, and of course, it's cheaper. It's again in the details where you may find a few extras over the Canon. For instance I felt it was easier to see the entire frame in the VF with my glasses on than on the Canon's (but then, both fitted with a 50 f1.4 I thought the Canon's VF was brighter.)

To sum it up, for landscapes I'd take the D600, for people the 5DIII. I cannot emphasize enough though, how important it is for you to try them both in your hands before making a decision, if you can.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow